HOLIDAY LIKE YOU MEAN IT WITH CBC’S DECEMBER SCHEDULE FULL OF FESTIVE FAVOURITES
CBC’s cross-platform holiday programming will keep Canadians in the festive spirit all season long
Tweet this release: http://cbc.sh/Cl8EFES
CBC-TV’s holiday lineup includes classic seasonal favourites, including:
- RUDOLPH, THE RED-NOSED REINDEER – ( NT) and ( NT)
- DR. SEUSS’ HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS – ( NT) and ( NT)
- FROSTY THE SNOWMAN – ( NT) and ( NT)
- NATIONAL LAMPOON’S CHRISTMAS VACATION – ( NT)
- A CHRISTMAS STORY – ( NT)
- SCROOGE (1951) – ( NT) and ( NT)
- WHITE CHRISTMAS – ( NT)
- MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947) – ( NT)
In addition to these perennial festive hits, CBC’s schedule will also include new holiday titles and special episodes from the prime-time lineup, including:
- MURDOCH MYSTERIES: A MERRY MURDOCH CHRISTMAS – ( NT)When a philanthropist is found dead before the holidays and the presents he distributes to Toronto's orphans and patients at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) are stolen, it is up to Murdoch (Yannick Bisson), Ogden (Hélène Joy) and the Station No. 4 team to solve the mystery. When nefarious forces intent on tarnishing the spirit and goodwill of the season suddenly appear, Murdoch realizes that in addition to solving a terrible crime, he must also save Christmas. This original two-hour special features guest stars Brendan Coyle (Downton Abbey), Kelly Rowan (The O.C.), Ed Asner (Elf; Lou Grant), Peter Mansbridge (The National), and St. Michael’s Choir.
- STARS ON ICE – ( NT) and ( NT)Kurt Browning is joined by some of Canada's most celebrated skaters as he marks his 25th Anniversary with the Stars on Ice tour. This year’s special features performances by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Patrick Chan, and Joannie Rochette, plus interviews with Browning’s long-time friends Scott Hamilton and Brian Orser, and renowned choreographer Sandra Bezic.
- 22 MINUTES HOLIDAY SPECIAL – MINUTES HOLIDAY SPECIAL is one giant holiday party for Canadians. Meet the Heroes of the Holidays and find out why there was No Room at the Inn. What better answer for the stresses of the holidays than spending an hour with 22 Minutes? ( NT)This Hour Has 22 Minutes takes on the holidays in this one-hour comedy special. With contributions from every province and territory, the 22
- DRAGONS’ DEN HOLIDAY SPECIAL – ( NT) and ( NT)In season 10’s Holiday Special, an entrepreneur finds out which Dragons are naughty or nice; an inventor tests his luck out in the Den; and two brothers hope to warm up some cold attitudes. Plus, a company looks to shake things up in the Den with a special gift for each Dragon.
- MICHAEL BUBLÉ’S CHRISTMAS IN HOLLYWOOD – /CT/PT ( /AT, NT) and ( NT)Multi- Grammy Award-winning singer Michael Bublé celebrates the holiday season with his fifth annual Christmas special filmed at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles. Bublé will be joined over the course of the night by a whole host of celebrity friends, including Celine Dion, William Shatner, Blake Shelton, Kylie Jenner, and more.
- DARCY OAKE: EDGE OF REALITY – /CT/PT ( /AT, NT) and ( NT)In a series of ambitious performances set in grand Victorian playhouses, Manitoba’s own Darcy Oake performs his unbelievable acts in front of a stunned audience. Each show takes a whirlwind pace as it trips from spectacular stage illusions to intimate tricks played on amused volunteers. While the scale of the stunts is breathtaking, the traditional setting in an old-fashioned theatre, with a witty presenter and an excited live audience, gives Oake’s performance genuine charm.
- THE CURSE OF CLARA: A HOLIDAY TALE – ( NT) and ( AT, NT)When small-town girl Vickie is accepted into the prestigious National Ballet School and selected to play the role of Clara in the Company’s holiday production of The Nutcracker, things look like they couldn’t get any better. As it turns out, they can’t — because that’s when Vickie finds out about the mysterious Curse of Clara. Thankfully, she’s got a good friend, the 1972 Summit Series, and an imaginary mentor (in the form of Phil Esposito) to keep her “on pointe.” Starring Saara Chaudry, Sheila McCarthy, Sara Botsford, Karen Kain, Phil Esposito, and Bob Cole. Writer/producer Vickie Fagan also wrote the autobiographical short story upon which this animated special is based.
- WAINWRIGHT NOËL NIGHTS – ( NT) and ( AT, NT)Rufus and Martha Wainwright convene the crème de la crème of the music scene in this benefit concert celebrating Christmas at the Maison Symphonique of Montreal’s Place Des Arts. Special guests taking the stage with the brother-sister duo include Emmylou Harris, Louden Wainwright, Kid Koala, and more.
- GET SANTA – ( NT)A father and son team up to save Christmas after discovering Santa Claus sleeping in their garage after crashing his sleigh and finding himself on the run from the police. This will be the Canadian premiere of this UK-based comedy starring Jim Broadbent (The Iron Lady), Jodie Whittaker (Broadchurch), and Rafe Spall (Life of Pi).
- THE ROYAL VARIETY PERFORMANCE – ( NT)Comedian Jack Whitehall hosts this star-studded evening at London’s Royal Albert Hall, with Prince Harry in attendance for performances by some of the U.K.’s biggest acts. One Direction, Elton John, Kylie Minogue, Josh Groban, and members of Cirque du Soleil are just a few of the performers who will take to the stage in this annual charity event benefiting the Royal Variety Charity.
Kids’ CBC’s broadcast schedule will be full of fun holiday-themed programming throughout December, including the Christmas Eve Pyjama Party. From( NT) on , Kids’ CBC will invite viewers to put on their pyjamas for a morning full of special holiday and Christmas episodes from favourite shows, as well as music, games, and special guests including Tanika Charles, who will sing a special version of Deck The Halls. Throughout the month of December, Kids’ CBC will air holiday-themed episodes of YOU & ME, SUPER WHY!, DANIEL TIGER’S NEIGHBOURHOOD, BOOKABOO, and more favourites.
Back by popular demand, CBC Music's Classical Holidays stream is the perfect soundtrack for seasonal activities, from shopping, to baking, to wrapping presents or simply enjoying a glass of eggnog, or relaxing in front of the fireplace. Available now, the CBC Music Classical Holidays stream features a mix of favourites from the choral, vocal and instrumental repertoire. In addition, CBC Music’s Seasonal Favourites stream offers popular holiday tunes sung by the likes of Bing Crosby, Aretha Franklin, Michael Bublé, *NSYNC, Mariah Carey, and more.
CBC Radio will be in the holiday spirit next month with special programming beginning CBC Christmas Sing-In from Montreal, a beloved holiday tradition since 1980, featuring favourite carols in spectacular arrangements for choir, organ, brass and percussion, and an audience of 1500 singing along. This year’s Sing-In will be recorded live in Montreal on at the Church of St. Andrew and St. Paul and Bourgie Hall, and is open to the public.and continuing through Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. CBC Radio 2 continues its annual tradition with JOY TO THE WORLD, hosted by Ben Heppner from on . This yearly Euroradio holiday special is in its 22nd year and is a perennial favourite on CBC Radio 2 with a full day of holiday music performances from the countries of the European Broadcasting Union. JOY TO THE WORLD will feature the annual
CBC Radio One and CBC Radio 2 will continue the festive theme with ongoing holiday music and special programming from the evening ofthrough to on , including the annual reading of Frederick Forsythe’s short story The Shepherd, by Al Maitland on CBC Radio One’s AS IT HAPPENS at Programming later that night and throughout the next day will feature a mix of classic and traditional holiday music from Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Handel, Tchaikovsky, and more.
CBC-TV will have viewers laughing into 2016 with its annual New Year’s Eve comedy lineup onbeginning at ( NT) with an encore presentation of the 22 MINUTES HOLIDAY SPECIAL. The Royal Canadian Air Farce continues its annual year-end tradition with an all-new AIR FARCE NEW YEAR’S EVE special at ( NT), featuring hilarious sketches, musical parodies, and guest stars including comedian Russell Peters, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley, and Toronto Blue Jays player Dalton Pompey. The laughs will keep coming at ( NT) with RON JAMES: FAST FORWARD, taking viewers through the highs and lows of 2015 as only Ron James can. The cast of 22 Minutes returns at to ring in the New Year with 22 MINUTES ‘TIL , a countdown to the end of 2015.
Visit cbc.ca/holiday for the full CBC holiday programming lineup.
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada's national public broadcaster and one of its largest cultural institutions. The Corporation is a leader in reaching Canadians on new platforms and delivers a comprehensive range of radio, television, internet, and satellite-based services. Deeply rooted in the regions, CBC/Radio-Canada is the only domestic broadcaster to offer diverse regional and cultural perspectives in English, French and eight aboriginal languages.
A space for us all is CBC/Radio-Canada’s new strategy to modernize the public broadcaster and ensure that it continues to fulfill its mandate for Canadians and for future generations. Through to 2020, it will increase its investment in prime-time television programming, and continue to create radio programs of the highest quality, while promoting the development of digital and mobile platforms and content.